Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Courage to Write

Brrrr! The decision to go out in the negative degree weather we're experiencing here in NePA is not lightly made. For twelve Endless Mountain Writers (EMW) to brave the bitter cold to attend Thursday night writing group shows intense dedication to the craft.

Courage is a hallmark of the writers I've met, and it is not just apparent in their willingness to brave the elements. Several writers been brave enough to scrap multiple drafts of a work-in-progress in the quest for quality. Others have bared their souls to their audience in memoirs and essays. All of the EMW authors have gathered the courage to open themselves to the scrutiny of others when they present a piece of writing. As readers, these same individuals honestly give their opinions to their peers. Giving constructive criticism can be even more difficult than being critiqued. I'm proud to be a member of this fine group and hope I have the courage to tap sensitive areas of my psyche in my own novels.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, Mary. EMW is indeed a unique group with interesting characters of its own. Critiquing has been essential to my growth as a writer.

    ReplyDelete